Sunday, January 23, 2011

Thoughts for the day


·      Drove the canter (big truck) for the first time today.  Loaded it with folks.  We had to put a few people on top of the cage because there was not room in the cage for more people.
·      Saw a naked guy walking down one of the main streets in Haiti today on the way to church
·      Worship was really good today.  The music from a technical side was not good at all… but I felt God moving as much as any technically perfect service I ever attended.
·      The church was super packed. I would guess the church holds 200ish. There was about 75 visitors, the rest was locals
·      Got to meet a young lady today named Megan Boudreaux.  A 24 year old girl who is sold out to Jesus and sharing the gospel with love to an unreached group for Jesus. So impressed with her traveling by herself, going to places that most men would not go, completely sold out to sharing Jesus.  Freaking amazing
·      I saw more people living in tents than I know how to count
·      I saw several families bathing on side of the road
·      I promised myself again not to bitch to God about a cold shower… I am weak.
·      I saw one person bathing in a river that would be condemned in the states
·      I saw young ladies that are being loved on by heartline get in the canter (cage) to go to church.  One with no foot, another with no hand… most with little hope… all with smiles just at the chance to get to worship Jesus.  The seemed happier than 99% of the adults I know in the States.
·      I am finding my love affair with Jesus to grow each day.
·      Talked to a guy who travels around the world sharing the love of Christ by helping the less fortunate help themselves.  He raises tons of money for those that have no hope and does wonderful things with it.
·       Talked with Megan more after dinner.  What a freakishly amazing girl.  She started the only school in Gressier, Haiti.  It’s closer to the epicenter than Port au Prince and the devastation there is horrible.  No electricity, no running water, no medical services, no stores.  Her school now has 90 students.  She is doing this completely alone and all her own.  She does not get paid.  She has only local teachers and is trying to teach them everything from English to how to grow a garden.  They are in desperate need of skills to grow their own crops. They are a forgotten people.
·      I realized today that the NFL is in the middle of the playoffs.  As a lifelong NFL fan, I could really not give a rip about professional sports.
·      It’s interesting how little material things matter to me here.  I don’t miss all my “junk” back home at all and I have been here less than a week.  The thought of going back to that…. Is not appealing at all.
·      I miss my friends.
·      I have not cried since I got here.  Five days… will see how long I go.  I have had tears 3 times.  Once in our daily prayer, once at church this morning, and once tonight when a friend texted me in the middle of his business and say…”harry, I miss you… seriously”.
·      Relationship issues bring tears (a friend who text or me missing someone)…. Not having my “stuff”… does not.
·      God is telling me to wait today… He has been telling me that for a while.  It was strong today.  I keep thinking what am I waiting on.  I think searching to have someone special in my life.  That is the only thing I yearn for so I guess he is telling me to wait.  Crap… oh… I mean God is good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thanks for sharing... very stirring