Thursday, February 03, 2011

what is poor?

I was talking to a Haitian man tonight.  He is staying here at the house for a while with us.  He was telling me how he was blessed enough to get to go to the states.  With 20 bucks he Left Haiti to go to school in the states.  He talked about how with 20 bucks he was rich.  I could not help but hear those back in the states that have electricity, hot water, a soft bed, a place to shower... yet feel like they have been robbed of something.  I know... cause am one of them.  I am but another American who feels shorted... missing something in life.  With all of Gods blessings, I have not let Him complete me.  I am work in progress.


Random thoughts:


* After seeing medical care close up and personal here... I felt for the first time in my life shame to call myself an American.  We completely SUCK as a country at helping these people.  The next time the song comes on "I am proud to be an American"... I will remember the sights I saw this week.  I love my country.  I served her for over 10 years... but I am not proud of what we are doing here as a nation.


* If you plan on giving... find a small non-profit that you trust and test God in some serious giving.  Better yet.... Go and do.  Stop whining about how bad the world is and go do something about it.


* There are some freakishly amazing people (mostly women) doing some amazing things on the ground here.  I have met some Doctors, PA's, Nurses (all women) that give endlessly for free just to serve.  My hat is off to these wonderful ladies.


* I am not complaining to much cause as a single guy… I enjoy getting to talk with women who have servant’s hearts.  It’s a pretty cool gig.  That said… where the heck are the able body men when it comes to serving others.  Us guys really suck.


* The UN has really bright white trucks and big helicopters.  If I can think of anything else about them thats really cool... I'll post it here.


* I was at someone house where white people in all likelihood have never been.  We were taking an elderly man out to get some medical care.  There was a 2 year old girl standing there looking at me.  She ran off screaming and crying.  She has never seen a while guy before.  It scared her.




*I love a full guesthouse.  Over 20 people here from all over the states giving of themselves in whatever talents God has blessed them with to give to a people who cannot give back.  So many stories from people all over the States.  I am proud to be fighting along side these folks to do whatever we can to share the love of Christ in whatever way we can.

No comments: